.NET (295) administrative (41) Ajax (42) AngularJS (2) ASP.NET (144) bicycle (2) books (180) browser (8) C# (133) cars (1) chess (28) CodePlex (10) Coma (8) database (47) deployment (3) Entity Framework (2) essay (111) flash/shockwave (2) flex (1) food (3) friend (2) game (20) idea (5) IIS (8) javascript (82) LInQ (2) Linux (6) management (4) manga (42) misc (671) mobile (1) movies (91) MsAccess (1) murder (2) music (64) mysql (1) news (99) permanent (1) personal (68) PHP (1) physics (2) picture (307) places (12) politics (13) programming (503) rant (120) religion (3) science (43) Sharepoint (3) software (58) space (1) T4 (2) technology (11) Test Driven Development (4) translation (2) VB (2) video (97) Visual Studio (44) web design (46) Windows API (8) Windows Forms (3) Windows Server (5) WPF/Silverlight (63) XML (11)

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Crystal Reports - Insert Field is disabled

I am working on this windows app that uses Crystal Reports. I've never used it before and I thought "Hey! I could learn something new". So I opened this .rpt file in Visual Studio 2003 and I got the most incomprehensible interface ever. I mean, I will have to invest some hours just to understand what the report interface is all about.

But anyway, I thought I would take an existing report and then just change something, like adding a new field. I went with the mouse on an empty space, right click, context menu, Insert... I could insert text. I could insert Special Fields (report data like number of the page, creation date and so on). I could insert Fields. Only that option was disabled! I've tried every option in the context menu, no avail.

Finally I've decided I am to dumb to figure it out, I went to man's best friend: Google! The answer found in an obscure forum was:
- Go to View (in Visual Studio 2003)
- click Other Windows
- click Document Outline

Now a Field Explorer window is open and I can see all fields and drag them to the report. That was it! :-/

11 comments:

sri said...

Thank u very much.This was very useful for me.

sri said...

Thank u.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot

Anonymous said...

Thanks a Lot

Anonymous said...

It is 2008 and this entry is still helping (today it helped me, after re-installing VB twice trying to make the damn fields show...)

Anonymous said...

Thanks. This helped me too.

Eclectricz said...

Well done on figuring that one out. I spun in circles for about 45 mins before I found your post.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I'm still supporting a legacy app and ran into the same problem. This simple post of yours has probably saved me hours.

Maraxus said...

Thanks! Took me a while to find it when you've provided the light :)

Anonymous said...

thanks. Since yesterday i was looking for this....

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much